Thursday, August 22, 2013

Album Review: Scarecrow by Decyfer Down


Music fans have gotten very used to a fairly regular cycle of write, release, then tour, write, release, then tour, to the point that if a band doesn't put out an album every year or two they're to at least some extent written off. Tool fans haven't lost interest in their fifth album after an eight year hiatus, but I find that Tool fans are an abnormality on any number of levels. It's been almost five years since Decyfer Down's last studio release Crash, and I'll admit that I'd stopped looking for news or anticipating what was to come at least a year or two ago. Then singles began appearing a few months ago, and much to my disappointment I didn't even like them that much. When I saw that Jesus Freak Hideout was hosting a stream of the album, I basically felt as though I was listening to it out of some kind of obligation, like I basically needed to give it a try. I was pleasantly surprised with the results. There have been some stand out rock records this year that have really come out with a bang, and Scarecrow won't be one of them, but it's full of little idiosyncrasies that will hopefully make a lasting impression on the listener.

Leaving opinion aside, everyone will agree that Decyfer Down's first two records fit very easily into the modern rock sound in terms of production and song structure. While there are certainly some similar tracks to be found here, the parts of Scarecrow I appreciated the most are when Decyfer dipped into a more Southern feel, appropriate for a band from North Carolina I suppose, and introduced elements of the blues and country into things. Songs like Westboro and The River have a nice twang and character to them because of these touches, one that sticks with the listener. Westboro is also an excellent example of another aspect of the album that I appreciated: an ability to express anger, fear, and hesitation about aspects of the Christian life without ever losing sight of the positive. This kind of well rounded approach feels rare, it seems like you either get praise bands singing about the joys of life with God or metal bands singing about the hardships, but Decyfer Down finds a rare and wonderful middle ground. Westboro is obviously an impassioned call to arms against the Phelps clan and those who misrepresent God, but the album is able to close out with a lovely song like So in Love without losing any impact as well, making Scarecrow a rare listen and hopefully one that will prove a trendsetter. Actually, I hope it ends up a trendsetter in many ways. I've only had access to the album for less than a day, and I've already listened three times. That says enough right there.

No comments:

Post a Comment