Thursday, December 26, 2013

Heavier than Hell's Top Five Live Performances of 2013

5. Rob Zombie
 
When this list was first coming together, there was originally a "Special Mention" given to Five Finger Death Punch and In this Moment. Neither band would've made the list based on the quality of their music, but in terms of putting of showmanship both were top notch. Production design and showmanship aren't among the top qualities of the performances that made the rest of my list, so I felt I should highlight some who made it a top quality. I'm telling you this as a reminder to always give things a few passes before you post them, because if I'd highlighted those two for showmanship over music and not given Rob Zombie a slot on the list for living up to both categories simultaneously, I would've failed at my job.
Highlight: So many. John 5 playing a glowing guitar, Rob running around the arena during 5's solo, We're an American Band, on and on.
 
4. Korn
 
Korn's my favorite band, so to see them recapture the olden days, both in terms of lineups and crowd size, in November was a real treat. To see them do it well was no surprise.
 
3. Demon Hunter
 
Demon Hunter's one of those bands where I could stand to hear them perform all of their albums back to back to back and wouldn't complain. Unfortunately, they were only a support act to In Flames when I saw them in February. Fortunately, a little Demon Hunter goes a long way, and setlist debates aside, they managed to blow the other three acts that evening off the stage with their brutal, fast paced set.
 
2. Filter
 
The year's biggest surprise in terms of a live performance. Richard Patrick's played venues ten times the size of Bismarck's O.N.E., and I'm sure he would've loved to have been playing a venue ten times the size of the O.N.E. that evening. You couldn't tell though. In terms of sheer enthusiasm, there was no greater display this year.
 
1. Lamb of God
 
A show so anticipated I came home early from a family vacation to ensure I could be there, one which lived up to my expectations in every way. People literally hanging off of balconies, circle pits that took up the whole floor, the world has missed Randy Blythe and his homecoming tour proved one for the ages.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment