Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Heavier than Hell's Top Ten Anticipated Albums of 2014

10. Anthrax
Anthrax have always been the least of the Big Four to me, owing primarily to my disinterest in the John Bush years (which coincide with when I was getting into metal). 2011's Worship Music was the best of the recent works from those major thrash bands though, and with Megadeth and Slayer each having, well, poor years in 2013 (you'll notice Slayer does not make this list), now might be Anthrax's moment to really shine.
 
9. Fear Factory
I have a feeling that Fear Factory's on the way out. It pains me to say, because they were one of my favorite bands in high school, and Soul of a New Machine or Demanufacture would probably earn a place on a top ten or twenty all time albums list. But all of the acrimonious lineup changes and a decreased profile are, in my opinion, likely signs of an end to their days as a national touring outfit. They're still putting out good albums though, so they'll have my ears as long as possible. Especially if Matt DeVries is laying bass tracks down on this one.
 
8. Testament
Another thrash band I didn't grow up loving, but it's been hard to ignore just how great they've been lately. Dark Roots of Earth is a great album, and I can't wait to see what they follow that up with. Based on the upward swing they've been on from The Gathering to The Formation of Damnation to now, it has the potential to be a hell of a thing.
 
7. In Flames
Opinions on In Flames's last album, Sounds of a Playground Fading, seem to vary. I like it, but given how far they went off the rails after Reroute to Remain (or Soundtrack to Your Escape), it's only one small step in the right direction. Here's hoping the next album's the giant leap for Jesterkind.
 
6. Mastodon
As I said in my review of their Live at Brixton release (located here: http://jakespeare88.blogspot.com/2013/12/another-trinity-for-christmas-three.html), this is one that I've been anticipating for quite a while. They may not thrill me on the road, but in the studio there's few bands I find as compelling as Mastodon. The Hunter wasn't my favorite of theirs, but the advance press I've seen make it sound like they're headed in a more conceptual direction again. Maybe not Crack the Skye 2.0, but something closer.
 
5. Foo Fighters
Had to figure I wasn't going to get through a list without one non-metal album. Sorry. Site might be called Heavier than Hell but even I mellow out on occasion. Wasting Light was probably the best album the Fighters have produced to date, definitely their best since Colour and the Shape, and this newest work is supposedly another more experimental recording, so hopefully similar processes will yield similar results. Whatever the quality, I'm sure it'll be catchy.
 
4. Down
The second EP is done at last. I remain unsure whether Kirk Windstein or Bobby Landgraf recorded the guitar tracks alongside Pepper Keenan, but regardless I am pumped to hear new Down. Perhaps even moreso if it's the first with a new lineup.
 
3. Lamb of God
This one feels like a bit of a question mark, considering the only official word has been that they're looking to enter the studio soon and hopefully have an album out by the end of the year, but I'm fairly confident that it'll happen, and it'll be spectacular when it does. Seeing Randy's energy onstage is unreal enough, but to have him finally write about and express his feelings about what occurred in Prague is going to be...well, rough, but cathartic and powerful.
 
2. Machine Head
I suppose it isn't that much longer than the usual two year cycle between albums, but it's been three long years since Unto the Locust and I am dying for some new Machine Head. Curious to hear what Jared MacEachern brings to the table, curious to see if the publicized focus on shorter songs comes to pass, just give it to me now please. There's no uncertainties or second thoughts in the back of my head on this one. I just want new Machine Head.
 
1. Slipknot
This one, however, I am full of mixed emotions about. Few bands are more important to me than Slipknot, and I've been hoping and hoping for them to record again for years. But the loss of Joey Jordison is pretty significant for me, and I can't determine at this point what Slipknot would sound like without his distinctive style on the drums. So we'll wait and see I guess. It'll certainly be a unique experience, that much I'm sure of.

No comments:

Post a Comment